About our Standards
As required by the Public Records Act 1973, the Keeper of Public Records sets mandatory Standards for the management of public records. The head of every Victorian public office is responsible for ensuring compliance with them.
The Standards apply to data/information/records held across the public office, in all formats, systems and storage environments. Some Standards have Specifications setting out technical requirements. PROV provides a range of guidelines and tools to assist public offices.
The Standards enable compliance with Australian and International Standards and support other Victorian Government requirements.
New Operational Management Standard
January 2024: Please note that PROS 24/01 Operational Management Standard has now been released, along with the associated revised Guideline. This document replaces PROS 19/04. For further information on changes made to the Standard, please see the Blog Post.
New Guideline: Representing Records in VEOs
September 2023: The Representing Records in VEOs Guideline is for technical developers building systems and tools to construct VEOs, and for agency record managers or system administrators creating VEOs for transfer to PROV. It describes how to construct VEOs so that they provide accurate and authentic representations of records from record systems. It outlines the criteria used by PROV when assessing VEOs for authenticity, a process known as archival assessment. Archival assessment is a component of the PROV VEO validation program.
This guideline supplements the technical requirements for VEO creation outlines in PROS 19/05 S4 Constructing VEOs and PROS 19/05 S5 Adding Metadata Packages to VEOs.
Revised Specification: Adding Metadata Packages to VEOs
July 2023: Please note that PROS 19/05 S5 Adding Metadata Packages to VEOs Specification has been revised. Changes have been made to the following:
- Section 2.3 - Every IO must contain an instance of the standard metadata, instead of just the root IO. This reflects practice with ingest into the new digital archive.
- Section 2.6.1 - Added to give clarity about how RDF subjects are identified.
- Section 2.7 - Added to give clarity about expressing arbitrary XML metadata.
- Section 4 - XML/RDF property names in table have had 'azns5478' prefix added.
- Section 4.1.2 to 4.1.5 - Added to give concrete instructions for expressing ASNZS 5478 metadata as a single entity model in RDF.