|Description of this FunctionDescription of this Function|
From 1 January 1915 shops were required to be registered for the first time pursuant to the Factories and Shops Acts Amendment Act 1914 (5 Geo.V, No.2558).
The Factories and Shops Act was replaced by the Labour and Industry Act 1953. The Labour and Industry Act 1977 introduced annual registration of market sites in addition to shops.
The Shop Trading Act 1987 came into operation 21 November 1987 replacing the provisions of the Labour and Industry Act 1958 relating to the registration of shops and market sites. These provisions were subsequently repealed by the Shop Trading (Amendment) Act 1988, operative from 1 January 1989.
Responsibility for the shop registration provisions of the Labour and Industry Act were the responsibility of the Minister of Labour to 1954, the Minister of Labour and Industry from 1954 to 1985, the Minister of Employment and Industrial Affairs from 1985 to 1986 and the Minister for Labour to 1987. The Minister for Industry, Technology and Resources (VRG 82) assumed responsibility for the Shop Trading Act 1987.