|Description of this FunctionDescription of this Function|
An electric tramway system was inaugurated in Geelong when the Melbourne Electric Supply Co. opened a line to Newtown in March 1912. In Bendigo a tramway was opened in June 1890 by the Sandhurst and Eaglehawk Tramway Co. using cars driven by electric storage batteries. Steam motors were then introduced in 1892 under the new ownership of the Bendigo Tramway Co. In 1899 the system was acquired by the Electric Supply Co. of Victoria and in 1903 the line was electrified. In Ballarat a horse tramway was opened by the Ballarat Municipal Council in December 1887. In 1904 the lines were taken over by the Electric Supply Co. of Victoria which electrified the system between 1905 and 1913 (The Australian Encyclopaedia).
In 1930 the S.E.C. acquired the Geelong Tramways from the Melbourne Electric Supply Company and in 1934 the Commission acquired the Ballarat and Bendigo Tramways from the Electric Supply Company of Victoria. The Commission continued to operate these tramways until 1956 and 1971/2 respectively.