|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Geelong and Melbourne Railway Company was a private organisation that was formed to build and operate a railway line between Geelong and Melbourne. The first services began on 1 November 1856 between Geelong and Duck Ponds (Lara). The line was subsequently extended to Little River, Werribee and by June 1857, Greenwich (Newport). The Company subsequently ran into financial problems and was purchased by the Victorian Government during 1860.