|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Gaol at Portland was in operation as early as 1852. It was reproclaimed in the Government Gazette, along with several other prisons in the colony, in October 1877.
In 1892, it was proclaimed a Police Gaol, under the provisions of the Gaols Act 1890.
The Police Gaol was closed by proclamation in March 1893.