|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Constitution of the Trust
The Footscray Tramways Trust was constituted under the provisions of the Footscray Tramways Trust Act (No.2816) which came into operation on 30 December 1915. The first meeting of the Trust was held on 24 March 1916.
An Order-in-Council, dated 20 October 1916, authorised the Footscray Tramways Trust to construct, control and operate the tramways in the municipal district of Footscray.
The Trust consisted of three members elected by the Footscray City Council for a period of two years. One of the members was elected as Chairman for a period of four years. The Chairman was elected at a meeting of the Council of the municipality. In the event of a vacancy the time and place of the first meeting of the Trust was to be appointed by the Minister of Public Works by a notice in the Government Gazette. The Trust was considered to be duly and legally constituted as a corporation from the appointed day.
For the purposes of the Act, the Trust was to exercise the rights, powers and privileges of a municipal Council. (conferred on the Councils under the provisions of the Tramways Acts, 1890 and 1915)
The Trust was to construct, manage and operate certain electric tramways in the municipal districts of the constituent councils.
The Trust could purchase, produce supply and use electric energy for the purpose of any tramway undertaking.
The Trust was to keep part of the roadway in repair where tramways were laid.
The Trust could enter into contract with any person or any corporation, invest money in government or municipal debentures, and establish funds to provide for any of its employees in the event of sickness or an accident, and to pay gratuities or retiring allowances to any of its employees.
The Trust had the power to lease tramways with the consent of the local Councils and the approval of the Governor-in-Council. The rent received was to be distributed between the municipalities (after payment of interest and repayment of money borrowed by the Trust and payment of other expenses of the Trust).
The Trust was empowered to borrow money on overdraft from the bank up to ten thousand pounds. It could also borrow on debentures secured upon the security of the undertaking and upon the credit of the municipalities.
The Trust was to submit an annual balance sheet, showing its assets and liabilities and its revenue and expenditure to the local councils. The balance (if any) was to be divided between the municipalities. Deficiency of revenue was to be made good by the municipalities.
In the event of dissolution of the Trust (other than a dissolution owing to the undertaking being acquired by a general tramway authority) the surplus assets were to be divided among the municipal Councils in proportion to their respective capital interests in the undertaking of the Trust.
The municipality was required to indemnify the Trust against capital loss in the undertaking.
In the event of any dispute between the municipality and the Trust, the matter was to be settled by the Minister of Public Works.
Tramline works undertaken and dissolution of the Trust
Specifications were drawn up and materials were ordered during 1916 and early 1917, but owing to war time difficulties in supply and delays in deliveries, construction was not started until 1917. The tramway was in the process of construction when the undertaking was taken over by the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board (VA 2694) under the provisions of the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Act 1918 (No.2995) on 20 February 1920. The construction work of the tramway was completed by the M&MTB and the line was opened for traffic on 6 September 1921.
Location of Records
See list below.