|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Geelong Municipal Water Works Trust was inaugurated on 16 December 1907 by the passing of the Geelong Municipal Water Works Act 1907 and on 11 January 1908 the election of the Commissioners by the Councils whom they represented was confirmed by the Minister for Water Supply.
The first meeting of the Trust was held on 25 January 1908 at the Water Supply Offices, Post Office Building, Geelong.
The Act provided for the taking over by the Trust, at a valuation, of all plant and stock held by the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission in connection with the Geelong Water Supply.
Act No. 2230, entitled the Geelong Waterworks and Sewerage Trust, was passed on 4 January 1910. The constitution of the Trust was altered and its name changed. The new body was to be responsible for the administration and maintenance of Water Supply and Sewerage for the Town of Geelong and District.
The alteration of the name was to come into effect on 30 March 1910. The Trust was reconstituted in 1950, 1966 and 1979 when the number of Commissioners was varied.
The Geelong Waterworks and Sewerage Trust was merged into the new Geelong and District Water Board on 1 July 1984 under the Water and Sewerage Authorities (Restructuring) Act 1983. This structured change was part of the statewide re-organisation of the water industry, bringing most small authorities under the umbrella of larger regional bodies.
From 1995, water and sewerage for this region has been under the control of the Barwon Region Water Authority.