|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
In October 1853 the government set aside crown land between Upper Heidelberg Road, and Darebin, Powlett and Brown Streets which in 1854 became the Warringal Cemetery.
Under the provisions of the Cemeteries Acts, trustees of public cemeteries were appointed by the Governor-in-Council. The trustees were responsible for the administration and maintenance of the cemetery, the collection of fees and expenditure of revenue (for e.g. grants, subsidies received) the registration of burials and cremations, the making of rules and regulations and determining the scale of fees.