|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Town Planning Appeals Tribunal was constituted under the Town and Country Planning Act 1961 by the Town and Country Planning (Amendment) Act 1968 (No.7676). The Tribunal came into being in 1969 and held its first sitting on 28April of that year.
The Tribunal initially consisted of six persons and sat in divisions. Each division was composed of a chairman, who was required to be a barrister and solicitor, and two members. The members were to have knowledge that included town planning and public administration, commerce or industry. Changes to the legislation in 1970 allowed the number of members to be increased and additional divisions to sit. The Tribunal generally sat at its city premises but was empowered, where necessary, to conduct hearings throughout the State.
Prior to the creation of the Tribunal the Minister for Local Government heard similar appeals.
Administrative support was provided to the Tribunal by the Local Government Department until 1974. In 1974 the Ministry for Planning Act1973 placed the Tribunal within the Ministry for Planning (VA 600). The Town and Country Planning (Amalgamation) Act1980 made provision for the amalgamation of the Ministry for Planning and the Town and Country Planning Board (VA 516). This amalgamation resulted in the formation of a new department, the Department of Planning (VA 599), effective from February 1981, and the Tribunal was provided administrative support by that Department until December 1981 when the Tribunal ceased to exist. At that date the Planning Appeals Board (VA 1408) commenced operation and superseded a number of bodies including the Town Planning Appeals Tribunal.
Location of Records
See List of Holdings 1985, section 3.15.3. and list below.