|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The site for the Wunghnu Cemetery was temporarily reserved from sale by order of the executive council on 22 April 1879 (Government Gazette, 25 April 1879, No. 45, p. 928). The site was 6 acres and located south west of the township centre. The first trustees were appointed by the Commissioner of Crown Lands on 27 May 1879 (Government Gazette, 30 May 1879, No. 56, p. 1195).
This was the second site chosen for a cemetery in Wunghnu. Earlier, in 1876, another site (of 10 acres to the north of the Wunghnu township centre) was gazetted under the land parish name of Mundoona (Government Gazette, 30 June 1876, No. 45, p. 1223). This reserve was eventually revoked in 1888 (Government Gazette, 24 February 1888, No. 19, p. 614).
After the resignation of all members of the trust, the council of Numurkah II Shire (VA 2482) was appointed as trustees of the cemetery on 24 August 1982, from which time the cemetery came under shire council management.
Local government administration of the cemetery trust continued after Numurkah Council was amalgamated into Moira Shire (VA 3705) in 1994. Moira Shire administered the trust until 2001 when new trustees were appointed under a new amalgamated cemetery trust (VA 5234 Numurkah-Wunghnu Cemetery Trust) administering both Numurkah and Wunghnu cemeteries.
Cemeteries are controlled by a Trust appointed by the Governor-in-Council on the recommendation of the responsible Minister. Trustees are responsible for the administration and maintenance of cemeteries, the collection of fees and expenditure of revenue (for example: grants, subsidies received) the registration of burials and cremations, the making of rules and regulations and determining the scale of fees.