|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Alexandra Babies' Home was established c.1909 at 187 Scott Parade, Ballarat East, the same site as the Ballarat Town and City Mission Rescue and Children's Home. The Home had a capacity of 36 children, most of which were wards of the state. When children reached the age of four they were typically transferred to the Ballarat Orphanage.
The Home was initially run by a committee of management before the Ballarat Town and City Mission took over management of the Home in 1921.
The Alexandra Babies Home was renamed to the Alexandra Toddlers' Home in 1964 to reflect that the children cared for at the Home were aged from eighteen months to five years.
The institution ceased to be registered by the Social Welfare Department as a Children's Home upon its closure on the 8th November 1973.