|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Coburg Teachers' College was established by the Education Department (VA 714) in 1959 as a teaching training institution. The College was under the direct control of the Department.
Classes at Coburg Teachers' College commenced in February 1959 and December 1960 saw the college's first graduation.
Initially the College offered two-year courses for the Trained Primary Teacher's Certificate and three-year course for the Trained Infant Teacher's Certificate. A three-year course for the Diploma of Teaching (Primary) was introduced in 1968. By 1969 the three-year Diploma course remained as the only course offered to intending primary teachers by the College and was a basic qualification for employment in the state's education system.
In July 1973, the College became the State College of Victoria at Coburg [VA 5188] having been admitted as a constituent member of the State College of Victoria [VA 437] in accordance with the State College of Victoria Act 1972.