|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
On 28th March 1861 six acres of land was gazetted for the purposes of a cemetery for the township of Woodend (Government Gazette No 49, 28th March 1861). Trustees of the Cemetery were gazetted in April 1861, with a Plot Purchase register commencing in 1864. The official Burial Register commenced in November 1931. The first burial in the lawn section of the Cemetery was in 1975, and in 1978 the Columbarium Wall was completed.
Under the provisions of the Cemeteries Acts, trustees of public cemeteries are appointed by the Governor-in-Council, upon recommendation of the responsible Minister (as at 2017 it was the Minister for Health). The Trustees are responsible for the administration and maintenance of the cemetery, the collection of fees, expenditure of revenue (e.g. grants and subsidies received), the registration of burials and cremations, and the making of rules and regulations to determine the scale of fees. The Woodend Cemetery Trust comprises of 6 members and the Secretary as at 2017. The Trustees are responsible for keeping accounts of receipts and expenditure.