|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Hillside Boys' Home was established by the Victorian Government in 1959 (Government Gazette Number 94, 1959). The site was officially opened on 27 October 1959, with an initial pilot intake of 30 school-age boys who had been disadvantaged by disability or neglect.
Hillside occupied a large, single-storey private residence on 10 acres in Jells Road, Wheelers Hill, that looked towards the Dandenong Ranges. The grounds housed a primary school staffed by Education Department teachers.
Numbers varied from 30 to 40, mainly ranging in age from 10 to 16 years, with exceptions as young as six years, or as old as 17 years.
By 1966 in an effort to relieve congestion at Turana Youth Training Centre (VA 971) and Allambie (VA 5033), the admissions to Hillside were predominantly from these Centres as well as family group homes and almost exclusively boys with complex needs.
Hillside was closed in 1984-85.