|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Smith Street Clinic (VA 5092), located in Smith Street, Collingwood, was a drug and alcohol rehabiliation centre. Originally it was referred to as a specialist detoxification centre, and had 18 intensive care beds, with the capacity to treat 3000 people per year. It opened on 1st May 1974. Between that date and 31st December 1974, the amount of attendances was 1087, comprising 353 cases. In addition, daily attendance for clients on the methadone maintenance program was 4320 visits during the same time period.
Smith Street Clinic was proclaimed under the Alcoholics and Drug Dependent Persons Act (1968), and was a "specialized detoxification centre with close links with hospitals and other emergency care units", and dealt with intensive care treatment and resuscitation.
Detoxification clients were generally referred to one of the following areas:
- Pleasant View Assessment Centre (VA 2848)
- Gresswell Rehabilitation Centre (VA 5077)
- Heatherton Centre (VA 5081)
- Discharged and out-patient appointment arranged
- Discharged to community services.
Referrals came to Smith Street Clinic from the following areas:
General Hospitals (particularly St. Vincents), self referrals, General Practitioners, Family Referrals, Alcoholics Anonymous, Buoyancy, Branch lJnits or MJt.A. Units, Religious organizations (particularly Salvation Army, and the "Little Sisters of the Poor"), and the Aboriginal Welfare League.
It is believed that Smith Street Clinic closed in 1995.