|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
In 1872 and 1880 land was gazetted for the purposes of a cemetery in the township of Corinella (Government Gazette No 30, 31st May 1872 and Government Gazette No 11, 6th February 1880 respectively). The first burial occurred in the Corinella Cemetery in 1876.
Under the provisions of the Cemeteries Acts, trustees of public cemeteries were appointed by the Governor-in-Council. The trustees were responsible for the administration and maintenance of the cemetery, the collection of fees and expenditure of revenue (for e.g. grants, subsidies received) the registration of burials and cremations, the making of rules and regulations and determining the scale of fees.