|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Opticians Registration Board was proclaimed by the Opticians Registration Act 1935 (No. 4357) and came into operation on 2 March 1936. A register was established called the Certified Opticians Register. In 1958 the Opticians Registration Act 1958 (No. 6330) was proclaimed and came into operation on 1 April 1959, repealing the Opticians Registration Act 1935 and the Opticians Registration (Fees) Act 1953 (No. 5700). The Optometrists Registration Act 1975 came into operation early in 1976, and the Board was renamed the Optometrists Registration Board of Victoria. The Opticians Registration Board was abolished in 1996 and replaced by the Optometrists Registration Board of Victoria (VA 1348).
Formation and Membership of the Board
The original Board was made up of seven members appointed by the Governor in Council. This included five members deemed to be competent opticians and two legally qualified medical practitioners. Future Boards were to be made up of two opticians nominated by the Minister, three opticians nominated by certified opticians and two medical practitioners nominated by the Victorian Branch of the British Medical Association.
The Opticians Registration Act 1935 (No. 4357) defined the functions of the Board as follows:
* To prescribe the course of study and training for those desiring to register
* To prescribe and hold examinations and appoint examiners
* To issue certificates of registration
* To suspend or remove opticians from the register if required and to restore certified opticians to the register if required