|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
In 1906, the Municipal Cemetery, called the New Melbourne Cemetery at Fawkner, opened to meet the needs of the city's north-west suburbs. The Northern Suburbs Cemetery Act, 1904 (No. 1952) authorised the Melbourne City Council, towns of North Melbourne, Essendon, Brunswick, borough of Flemington and Kensington and the shires of Coburg and Broadmeadows to acquire and hold land for the purposes of a cemetery. The first burial took place on 10 December 1906. This was considered to be the unofficial opening of the cemetery.
In addition to being trustees of the New Melbourne Cemetery, Fawkner, the five corporations became trustees of the Coburg Public Cemetery under the provisions of the Cemeteries (Coburg Public Cemetery) Act 1970, (proclamation gazetted on 22 April 1970).
In 1971, by an Act of Parliament, Cemeteries (Fawkner Crematorium and Memorial Park) Act (No. 8116), the name of the New Melbourne Cemetery was changed to Fawkner Crematorium & Memorial Park. Originally established under the trusteeship of local mayors and councillors, the Park passed into the management of an independent Trust in 1971.
Under the provisions of the Cemeteries Acts, trustees of public cemeteries were appointed by the Governor-in-Council. The trustees were responsible for the administration and maintenance of the cemetery, the collection of fees and expenditure of revenue (for e.g. grants, subsidies received) the registration of burials and cremations, the making of rules and regulations and determining the scale of fees.