|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Geelong and District Cultural Institute Act 1954 was promulgated on 6 March 1956. Among other things, it transferred the property, assets, debts, obligations and liabilities of The Geelong Mechanics' Institute Incorporated to the new incorporated body.
The constitution of the Geelong and District Cultural Institute was set out in the Victorian Gazette No. 236 on 7 March 1956.
The objects of the Institute were the establishment promotion and maintenance of a cultural centre for the benefit of the inhabitants of the City of Geelong and the surrounding district and more particularly-
the cultivation of literature, science and art
;the intellectual improvement and recreation of the inhabitants of the City of Geelong and the surrounding district
;the establishment and maintenance of such libraries, museums, concert halls, lecture rooms, reading rooms, and recreation rooms or halls as the Council thinks proper
;the delivery of lectures, formation of classes, and generally the encouragement and promotion of the social, physical, and intellectual recreation of such inhabitants
;the doing of all such things as are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the foregoing objects.
The Geelong and District Performing Arts Centre succeeded the Geelong and District Cultural Institute in 1980. The Geelong Performing Arts Centre Trust was established under the Geelong Performing Arts Centre Trust Act 1980 to maintain, control and manage the Geelong Performing Arts Centre, to promote its use and to present and produce performances.