|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Land was set aside for the Teesdale Cemetery in 1861 although the first recorded burial was in 1859. Prior to that, burials were either at the Leigh (Golf Hill) Cemetery, Shelford Cemetery or on private property.
Under the provisions of the Cemeteries Acts, trustees of public cemeteries were appointed by the Governor-in-Council. The trustees were responsible for the administration and maintenance of the cemetery, the collection of fees and expenditure of revenue (for e.g. grants, subsidies received) the registration of burials and cremations, the making of rules and regulations and determining the scale of fees.