|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Swinburne College of Technical and Further Education began as a division of the company Swinburne College of Technology Limited in 1975. Swinburne had been incorporated under s.24 of the Companies Act 1961 (Act No. 6839), and in 1973 a working party was established to determine the most appropriate form of incorporation. The working party's report, released in 1975 resolved to revoke the previous licence and set up two divisions of the company, VA 1192 Swinburne Institute of Technology and VA 4668 Swinburne College of TAFE. The licence was officially revoked on 4th April 1975, and the working party's resolutions were put into effect on 14th April 1975. From 1975, these two divisions were administered separately.
Arising from the martin Report 1965, the Federal Government introduced matching financial grants to colleges of Advanced Education. The Victoria Institute of Colleges (VA 571) was established and Swinburne Institute of Technology became an affiliated college.
This form of funding for tertiary education necessitated a separation of tertiary from non-tertiary courses. This separation was reflected in the structure of Swinburne College of Technology (VA 1217), prompting it to divide into a Higher Education and TAFE division
Administration was re-centralised for TAFE and Institute students in 1983, although they continued to be operated as two separate units. The TAFE plumbing course moved from Swinburne to Holmesglen College of TAFE in 1986 followed by the TAFE Building course in mid 1990. In 1991 Swinburne College of TAFE amalgamated with Prahran College of TAFE, which was known as Prahran College of Advanced Education until 1983. Swinburne College of TAFE formally joined Swinburne Institute of Technology (VA 1192) on the 1st of July 1992 to form Swinburne University of Technology (VA 4669). This was in line with the Swinburne University of Technology Act 1992 (Act No 44), which was proclaimed by the Victorian Parliament on 1st July 1992.