|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Governor of New South Wales was responsible for the Port Phillip District until 1851. At this time, Victoria was separated from New South Wales and was granted its own Legislative Council. A Lieutenant-Governor was appointed to perform the executive functions of the Crown. Legislative authority for these arrangements came from the Australian Colonies Government Act 1850.