|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Municipal District of East Collingwood was established 24 April 1855. In 1863 it was proclaimed a Borough. The Borough of East Collingwood was proclaimed a Town on 21 April 1873.
By a proclamation of the Administrator of the Government of the Colony of Victoria, the name of East Collingwood was altered to Collingwood 19 May 1873. The Town of Collingwood was proclaimed a City on 10 January 1876.
Local Government Reform 1993-1995
This council was abolished in 1994 as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78. VA 3727 City of Yarra Council was appointed as the successor in law for the City of Collingwood (VA 439) and has assumed any rights, assets and liabilities of these abolished councils.