|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Western Wimmera Waterworks Trust was established on 1 May 1906 by the commencement of section 153 of the Water Act 1905 (No.2016). Pursuant to section 153 of the Act the previous agency, the Western Wimmera Irrigation and Water Supply Trust (VA 4037) was dissolved and responsibility for water supply in the locality passed immediately to the new body.
Waterworks Trusts functions were set out in an earlier Act, the Victorian Water Conservation Act 1881 (No.716). Under section 13 of that Act a Waterworks Trust was to conduct works which would supply water to the Shires which constituted the Trust. The precise administrative and functional differences between Waterworks Trusts and Irrigation and Water Supply Trusts have not been researched.
The Trust was controlled by elected Commissioners representing its constituent Shires and an appointee of the government. As set out in section 153 of the Water Act the Commissioners of the abolished Irrigation and Water Supply Trust became Commissioners of the Waterworks Trust.
The Western Wimmera Waterworks Trust ceased on 1 July 1908 following an Order in Council made on 24 June 1908. The Order was made under section 154 of the Water Act. From 1 July 1908 the Waterworks District for which the Waterworks Trust had been responsible passed to the direct control of the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission (VA 723).
Location of Records