|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Wimmera United Waterworks Trust was constituted on 4 October 1882 pursuant to the Victorian Water Conservation Act 1881 (No.716) (Government Gazette 6 October 1882, p.2422).
A Waterworks Trusts functions were set out in the Water Conservation Act. Under section 13 of that Act a Waterworks Trust was to conduct works which would supply water to the Shires which constituted the Trust. The Waterworks District for which the Wimmera United Waterworks Trust was responsible comprised portions of the Wimmera, Dunmunkle, St Arnaud and Stawell Shires.
The Trust was controlled by elected Commissioners representing its constituent Shires and an appointee of the government.
From 1886 various portions of the Waterworks District for which the Trust was responsible were excised and passed to the control of other Trusts including the Shire of Wimmera Waterworks Trust (VA 4035). The Wimmera United Waterworks Trust ceased on 1 July 1908 when what remained of the Waterworks District passed to the control of the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission (VA 723). The transfer to the control of the State Rivers and Water Supply Commission was effected by an Order in Council made on 24 June 1908 pursuant to section 154 of the Water Act 1905 (No.2016) (Government Gazette 1 July 1908, p.3165).
Location of Records