|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Sir Colin Mackenzie Sanctuary is situated at Badger Creek, Healesville, and comprises an area of 78 acres.
The Sanctuary was established in 1929 and had two functions. The first was to preserve and present to the citizens specimens of Australian animals and birds in natural surroundings. The second was to undertake scientific research into the life history, habits, etc, of the animals.
Since 1929 the Sanctuary had been controlled by firstly, the Healesville Shire Council, and later by a Committee of Management of persons appointed at a public meeting.
In May, 1949, the Members of the Committee, owing to lack of funds submitted their resignations and a new Committee of Management of Government nominees and a representative of the Healesville Shire Council and the Healesville Public was appointed to control the Sanctuary.
The date range of the existence of this Committee is taken from the records in custody date range.