|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Nurses Board (also known as the Nursing Board of Victoria) was established on 1st July 1924 with the proclamation of the Nurses Registration Act 1923 (No 3307). The Board also became responsible for the:
- registration of midwives in 1929 with the passing of the Midwives Act 1928 (No 3587). (Midwives were previously registered by the Midwives Board - VA 3143).
- registration of mental nurses in 1950 with the proclamation of the Nurses and Midwives Act 1950 (No 5470).
Prior to the establishment of the Board, Victorian nurses were not subject to any compulsory training or registration. However, private organisations such as the Royal Victorian Trained Nurses' Association did register nurses who completed and passed training in one of their training schools.
Formation and Membership of the Board
The original Act provided for a Board of seven, (one of whom was appointed by the Governor in Council to be chairman). Membership consisted of a ministerial nominee, a medical practitioner, two registered nurses, one member representing persons being trained in nursing, and two nominees representing hospitals having a General Training School. Subsequent Acts increased membership and provided representation for midwives (1936), the legal profession (1940) and mental and mental deficiency nurses (1950).
The Board was established as a policy-making body, responsible for the regulation of nursing matters. It was responsible for the establishment of standards, the co-ordination of education and the registration of nurses and midwives. (To be eligible for registration, nurses and midwives were required to undergo training in training schools approved by the Board and to pass the prescribed examinations).
In performing these functions, the Board:
- registered nurses in many of the fields of nursing and from 1929 registered midwives.
- issued, annulled, suspended or restored registration and certificates of registration and judged any disputable cases.
- regulated the content of training courses, determined the duration of courses and managed examinations.
- approved or withdrew approval allowing a hospital to be a general training school or to conduct a special course in nursing.
- arranged reciprocal recognition of training and qualifications with other nursing organisations within Australia and overseas.
- published the register of nurses in the Victorian Government Gazette.
With the proclamation of the Nurses Act 1956 (No.6035) on 1 March 1958 the Victorian Nursing Council (VA 1352) was established. The Council assumed responsibility for functions previously administered by the Board, and expanded its activities to include the registration of all nurses and the investigation of various matters related to nursing.
Location of Records
For records of this agency see list of series below.