|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Trustees of the National Gallery were appointed under the provisions of An Act to make provision with respect to the Public Library the National Gallery and the National Museums of Victoria 1944 (No.5053). The Governor-in-Council was to appoint not less than five and not more than seven persons to be trustees of the National Gallery of Victoria for a term not greater than seven years.
The trustees were to have the management and control of the National Gallery (VA 930) and the general direction and control of the establishment and administration of schools of art conducted at or associated with the gallery. All pictures, works of art and exhibits within the gallery and thereafter acquired by the gallery were vested in the trustees and could be loaned by the trustees.
A separately appointed body of trustees, known as the Building Trustees, was vested with the control and management of the land, buildings, furniture and fittings shared by the Public Library, the Public Museum and the National Gallery.
Prior to 1944 the Trustees of the Public Library, Museums and the National Gallery of Victoria (VA 912) was responsible for the general direction and control of all three institutions.
In 1966, new legislation (No.7482), was passed which constituted a new body, called the Council of the Trustees of the National Gallery of Victoria (VA 929), to undertake the role and functions previously administered by the trustees.
Location of Records
Very few records of this agency have been transferred to the Public Record Office, see list below. Researchers should also check the List of Holdings, 2nd Edition, 1985 sections 3.3.6 for records of this agency which have been attributed to the Public Library of Victoria.