|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
On 3 November 1871 the Donnybrook and Wallan Wallan Road District (VA 3026) was renamed and proclaimed as the Shire of Merriang. The Shire's boundaries were redefined on 31 May 1897.
On 15 October 1915 Merriang Shire was united with VA 2395 Broadmeadows Shire. Prior to the union Merriang consisted of three ridings: Beveridge, Donnybrook and Wallan Wallan Ridings. Merriang Shire became Merriang Riding and then Wallan Riding of Broadmeadows Shire. Part of this riding was severed and annexed to VA 2499 Romsey Shire on 31 May 1916.
Location of Records
See list below.
1 Victorian Government Gazette, 1871, page 1914
2 Victorian Government Gazette, 1897, page 2097
3 Victorian Government Gazette, 1915, page 3344
4 Victorian Government Gazette, 1916, page 4361
5 Victorian Government Gazette, 1916, page 2067
Victorian Municipal Directory, Arnall & Jackson Pty Ltd, 1988, Melbourne
Victorian Municipal Directory, Arnall & Jackson Pty Ltd, 1916, Melbourne
Summary Guide to the Public Record of Victoria
VPRS 7959, Rate Books
VPRS 7963, Rate Books