|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Constitution of the Trust
The Fitzroy, Northcote and Preston Tramways Trust was constituted and incorporated under the provisions of the Fitzroy, Northcote and Preston Tramways Act 1915 (No.2592) which came into operation on 3 August 1915.
The Trust consisted of ten members, three being elected by each of the constituted councils for a period of two years. The tenth member was the Chairman.
The Chairman was elected by a conference of the municipal councils for a period of four years. In the event of a vacancy, the Minister of Public Works could appoint some person to that position.
The time and place of the first meeting of the Trust was to be appointed by the Minister of Public Works by notice in Gazette. The Trust was considered to be duly and legally constituted as a corporation from the appointed day.
For the purposes of the Act, the Trust was to exercise the rights, powers and privileges of a municipal Council. (Conferred on the Councils under the provisions of the Tramways Acts, 1890 and 1915.)
The Trust was to construct, manage and operate certain electric tramways in the municipal districts of the constituent councils.
The Trust could purchase, produce, supply and use electric energy for the purpose of any tramway undertaking.
The Trust was to keep part of the roadway in repair where tramways were laid.
The Trust could enter into contract with any person or any corporation, invest money in government or municipal debentures, and establish funds to provide for any of its employees in the event of sickness or an accident and to pay gratuities or retiring allowances to any of its employees.
The Trust had the power to lease tramways with the consent of the local Council and the approval of the Governor-in-Council. The rent received was to be distributed between the municipalities (after payment of interest and repayment of any money borrowed by the Trust and payment of the other expenses of the Trust).
The Trust was empowered to borrow money on overdraft from the bank upto ten thousand pounds. It could also borrow on debentures secured upon the security of the undertaking and upon the credit of the municipalities.
The Trust was to submit an annual balance sheet, showing its assets and liabilities and its revenue and expenditure to the local councils. The balance (if any) was to be divided between the municipalities. Deficiency of revenue was to be made good by the municipalities.
In the event of dissolution of the Trust (other than a dissolution owing to the undertaking being acquired by a general tramway authority) the surplus assets were to be divided among the municipal councils in proportion to their respective capital interests in the undertaking of the Trust.
The municipalities were required to indemnify the Trust against capital loss in the undertaking.
In the event of any dispute between the municipalities and the Trust, the matter was to be settled by the Minister of Public Works.
Tramway lines opened
The first work undertaken was the construction of a new bridge over the Merri Creek at St. George's Road (to replace the one erected in 1888). The foundation stone was laid on 18 August 1917.
The bridge for the electric tramway having been completed, the contract for the permanent way was entered into and on 10 September 1918 work commenced on the section south of the bridge in Fitzroy.
Dissolution of the Trust
Eight tram car bodies were ordered from James Moore and Sons and assembled in the Prahran and Malvern Tramways Trust's workshops. They had just been completed when the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Board (VA 2694) took over responsibility for the undertaking on 20 February 1920 under the provisions of the Melbourne and Metropolitan Tramways Act 1918 (No.2995).
Location of Records
See list below.