|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The State Chemistry Laboratory was set up in February 1983 in the Department of Agriculture (VA 618), absorbing the Division of Agricultural Chemistry of the Department and taking on the role of the State Laboratories Co-ordination Unit then located in the Department of Premier and Cabinet (VA 1039). It brought together several operations, the main ones being the Toxicology Branch located in the Coroner's Court (VA 2263), the Health Sciences Branch formerly part of the Health Commission (VA 652) and the Chief Chemists Group from the Department of Minerals and Energy (VA 611).
The State Chemistry Laboratory was responsible to the Department of Agriculture (VA 618) until 1985 when responsibility was assumed by the Department of Agriculture and Rural Affairs (VA 2649).
Location of Records
Significant records are held by the Public Record Office (see below).