|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Establishment and Functions
In 1853 a Board to be known as the Commissioners of Sewers and Water Supply was established under the provisions of 16 Vict. No.39 and a body to be known as the Sewerage and Water Commission was incorporated. The Commission became responsible for the construction of sewers and drains and for the provision of a water supply to Melbourne, responsibilities previously undertaken by the City of Melbourne. The work was to be financed by an advance from the Colonial Treasurer to be repaid within a period of twenty five years. The Water Works Debenture Act 1855 authorised the Colonial Treasurer to issue debentures and the money raised was to be used to finance the work of the Commissioners. The work was undertaken by the employees of the Sewerage and Water Commission who were part of the civil establishment of the colony and responsible to the Commissioner of Public Works.
On 12 December 1859, by Order of the Governor-in-Council and under the provisions the Melbourne Sewerage and Water Amendment Act 1858, the Board of Land and Works assumed responsibility for the powers and property previously vested in the Board of the Commissioners of Sewerage and Water Supply and the latter Board was dissolved.
Location of Records
For records of this agency see list below. Also see List of Holdings, section 2.23.3.