|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The State Electricity Commission of Victoria, Mid-Western Supply Region was initially established in 1934 taking over the organisation operated by the Electric Supply Company of Victoria. With headquarters at Ballarat, the Mid-Western Supply Region includes district centres at Ararat, Bacchus Marsh and Daylesford.
The State Electricity Commission of Victoria (VA 1002) Australia's largest electricity supply authority and individual coal producer. It was a semi-government authority with the principal responsibility of generating or purchasing electricity for supply throughout Victoria.
The Commission was established by an Act of Victorian Parliament in 1921 and operated under the State Electricity Commissions Act, 1958. Since it began operating the Commission has expanded and co-ordinated the generation, purchase and supply of electricity on a State-wide basis, to the stage where its system provided almost all the electricity produced in Victoria.
Restructuring of the Victorian Electricity Industry
In 1993-1994 the State Electricity Commission of Victoria was disaggregated into three entities, covering mining and generation; transmission and system security; and distribution and retailing. The Electricity Industry Act 1993 (No. 130/1993) was the basis for implementing the government's objectives with regard to the structure and regulation of the Victorian electricity industry.
With the disaggregation and privatisation of the State Electricity Commission, the State Electricity Commission of Victoria, Mid-Western Supply Region was abolished and became part of the new private entities.