|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Road District of Warrnambool was created 11 July 1854. The Road District was proclaimed a Shire on 31 December 1863. A portion of the Shire was severed and annexed to Warrnambool City on 19 May 1978. Koroit Borough was united with the Shire on 1 October 1985.
Local Government Reform 1993-1995
This council was abolished in 1994 as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78. The Shire of Moyne has been appointed as the successor in law of Warrnambool Shire and has assumed its rights, assets and liabilities.
The Shire of Warrnambool Local Governing Body [water responsiblities] was constituted on 23 November 1976. On 27 September 1983, it amalgamated with Peterborough Waterworks Trust (VA 2146) and was renamed Shire of Warrnambool, and was constituted under the Water and Sewerage Authorities (Restructuring) Act 1983. It was abolished on 1 July 1994 under the Water Act 1989, when it amalgamated with the previous authorities of Mortlake Water Board (VA 4945), Lismore Waterworks Trust and those managed by the City of Warrnambool (VA 2530), Shire of Hampden (VA 2438), Shire of Heytesbury (VA 2441), Town of Camperdown (VA 2400) and Otway Waterworks Trust/Otway Water Supply System. They formed the Hopkins Region Water Authority (1994-1995) (VA 3753), later renamed South West Water Authority (1995-2005).