|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Municipal District of Richmond was proclaimed on 24 April 1855. The Town of Richmond was proclaimed on 28 September 1872. The City of Richmond was proclaimed on 17 February 1882.
Local Government Reform 1993-1995
This council was abolished on 22 June 1994 as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78. The City of Yarra has been appointed as the successor in law of City of Richmond and has assumed its rights, assets and liabilities.