|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
This municipality was created a Borough on 9 March 1858. It was declared a Town on 16 April 1924. It was declared a City on 7 October 1949. Its name was changed from Newtown & Chilwell to Newtown on 22 November 1967.
Local Government Reform
Newtown City was amalgamated with the City of Greater Geelong by the City of Greater Geelong Act 1993 on 18 May 1993. This occurred as part of a statewide program of local government reform enacted between 1993 and 1995. The reform process reduced the number of councils from 210 to 78.