|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The land for Springvale Botanical Cemetary (known then as the Necropolis Spring Vale) was purchased in 1878 by Francis Longmore and reserved for a cemetery in 1887. The grounds were proclaimed a public cemetery in February 1901, when the Trust was constituted.
Th first burial occured in 1902 and the first cremation took place in 1905.
Springvale Botanical Cemetery is administered by the Trustees of the Necropolis Springvale. Necropolis also administers Dandenong, Melbourne General and St Kilda cemeteries.
On 1 March 2010 the Southern Metropolitain Cemeteries Trust (VA 5014) was created under the Cemeteries and Crematoria Act 2003 to administer the Springvale Botanical Cemetery as well as the Brighton General, Cheltenham Pioneer, Dandenong Community, Melbourne General and St. Kilda Cemeteries as well as the Bunurong and Cheltenham Memorial Parks.