|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Dental Association of Australia was formed at a meeting of the dental profession in Victoria held on 19 February 1884. This is said to be the first dental association in the Australian Colonies (University of Melbourne Archives, 2006). At the first meeting of the Association, held on 26 February 1884, the name was changed to the Ondontological Society of Victoria. The society was directly responsible for placing dentistry on a professional basis and continued until 1920.
The Society was active in lobbying for legislation for the regulation of the profession in the Colony of Victoria, resulting in the Colonial Parliament passing the Dentists Act 1887 (51 Victoria No. 960). This act provided for the creation of a Dental Board and a Registrar to keep a register of dentists in the Colony. Persons who could prove that they had practised dentistry before the passing of the Act could be registered. Those seeking registration after the passing of the Act were required to have completed a four-year course of study described in the Act and to pass an examination set by the Board. It wasn't until 1910 that a further act was passed preventing unregistered people from practising dentistry.
In 1890 the Dentists Act 1887 was repealed and the legislation relating to the registration of dentists incorporated into the Medical Act 1890 (No. 1118). The Board operated under the Medical Act (as amended) from this time until the Dentists Act 1972 (No. 8287) was passed. The Dentists Act 1972 allowed for temporary dental registrations for those who held a degree or diploma in dentistry from a place other than Victoria and who were in or proposed to come to Victoria to undertake postgraduate study, teaching or dental science research work. The Record of Temporary Dental Registrations began in this year.
References to dental technicians were removed as dental technicians and advanced dental technicians now operated under the Dental Technicians Act 1972 (No. 8366). The Dental Technicians Licensing Committee (No. 1344) and the Advanced Dental Technicians Qualifications Board (No. 1339) were formed in 1972.
Formation and Membership of Board
The 1887 Act provided for a Board consisting of eight members. The first members of the Board were appointed by the Governor in Council and included at least four persons eligible for registration as dentists under the Act and three legally qualified medical practitioners.
In 1898 the Board was reduced to seven members.
The Dentists Act 1887 defined the Board's functions as follows:
* To conduct examinations for the purposes of the Act and grant certificates as directed by the Governor in Council
* To appoint a registrar and other officers and remove any person so appointed
* To erase any name from the register as directed by the Minister or to make inquiries into the case of a person liable to have their name removed from the register
* To conduct examinations for the purpose of testing the fitness of persons to practise dental surgery or dentistry
The Dentists Act 1898 (No. 1595) prevented unregistered persons from using the title 'dentist'.
The Dentists Act 1972 (No. 8287) allowed for temporary registrations of those who held a degree or diploma in dentistry in a place other than Victoria and who proposed to come to Victoria for the purpose of postgraduate study, research or teaching. The Act also allowed for the registration of Dental Auxiliaries.
In 2000 the Board was abolished with the passing of the Dental Practice Act 1999 (No. 26/1999) and a new board consisting of 11 members was established. The Act provided for the registration of dentists and specialists, dental prosthetists, dental therapists and dental hygienists. (Subsequent agency refer to VA 4868)