|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
Hamilton Base Hospital assumed its current title in 1972 operative until July 1998 when it became part of the Western District Health Service (WDHS).
The foundation stone for the Hamilton Hospital and Benevolent Asylum was laid on 19 November 1862. It was founded by an association of compassionate citizens and was managed by a voluntary committee elected from charitable subscribers of one pound or more. Its first patients were admitted on 21 March 1863.
In 1893, a new and improved hospital was opened to the public. Further building and service developments occurred in 1897 with the opening of the Queen Victoria Infectious Hospital and also again in 1907 with the opening of the McKellar Maternity Hospital. From 1924 all Benevolent Asylum patients were transferred to Ballarat and the hospital subsequently became known as the Hamilton and District Base Hospital. Another name change in 1957 and the hospital was known as the Glenelg Base Hospital until 1972 when it became the Hamilton Base Hospital.