|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The Hairdressers Registration Board was established in 1937 under the provisions of the Hairdressers Registration Act 1936 (No.4396).
The Board consisted of representatives of the industry and government authorities and from 1975 consisted of ten persons appointed by the Governor in Council. The ten were a chairman who had no pecuniary interest in the industry, a nominee of the Minister of Education, a representative from the registered schools, a representative from the Industrial Training Commission and two representatives from each of the Master Ladies Hairdressers, the Master Hairdressers and the Employees Federation.
The Board was virtually autonomous since it raised its own revenue through the charging of annual registration fees and the receipt of fines and legal costs paid by defendants who were prosecuted for breaches of the regulations.
An Inquiry into Labour Market Impacts of Alternative Training Arrangements for the Victorian Hairdressing and Beauty Industries was conducted by Coopers and Lybrand Services - Management Consultants in 1984-5 and arising from the recommendations of the Inquiry, the Hairdressers Registration Act was repealed on 1 January 1986 and thus the Board was abolished. The staff of the Hairdressing Registration Board were transferred to the Department of Employment and Industrial Affairs (VA 2777).
Location of Records