|Description of this AgencyDescription of this Agency|
The beginnings of a prison at Castlemaine can be traced to the establishment of a police lock up in 1852. In 1856 construction of a permanent prison began. In 1859 most of the existing prison was demolished and construction began on a new structure based, like most other prisons constructed at the time, on the Pentonville design. The prison was completed in 1861 and the furst governor was appointed the same year.
In 1909 the prison became a Reformatory prison. The prison closed in 1951 when the Reformatory prison was moved to Langi Kal Kal.
In 1954 the prison repopened as a hospital prison, however the prison was soon operating as a regular prison due to overcrowding at other prisons.
The prison finally closed permanently in 1990 due to the opening of the new Loddon Prison.
Location of Records
See also List of Holdings second edition, 1985, section 13.5.0.